Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The last day

The last day

As sure as the sun rise, this was the last day
I prayed to Allah, the most high and got on my way
The drive was peaceful thoughts to myself
Born by the river, relaxed is how I felt
On my way to the Audubon 166th & Broadway
They were finally ready to hear what I wanted to say
Detailed planned
I’m in high demand
Knowing that I’m in high esteem
The prophet came to me in a dream
Reminding me of my duty
My 6 feet never looked so small
My hair never looked so red
I’ve hung up on many a call
At every threat said.
“Brother minister its time”
Slow steps destiny decided
Never knew a feeling so fine
A thirst so unrequited
Out in the crowd, two brothers tussle
“Break it up, be calm, be cool”
I saw him, he looked directly at me
Fire, rage, and matter of fact in his eyes
Shortness of breath, blood for me to see
Sounding like sighs
As the second round
Sends me to the ground
I hear my Betty scream
“They’re killing my husband”
Reality finally matches my bad dream
30 shorts fired I herd them all
7 shots tore into my flesh
These chairs broke my fall
My last image was of our folks mess
Here on Feb 21, 1965, my spirit prepares to leave
For me I beg you not to grieve
The petty squabbles and failures of man
Will out live us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment